Error 1722 workaround
Windows UAC (User Account Control) can cause the client installation to fail with a message like the following:
You must have an administrative privilege to run this tool.
This happens even when being launched by an `Administrator'. The WPKG logs show this:
Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action _A9459942_EE79_497A_9080_F39DDA8A7B80, location: C:\Program Files\wpkg\wpkginst.exe, command: --SETTINGSFILE=
The solution is to launch a command window with elevated privileges and use that to start the installer. Quoting from one post of many:
- Make shortcut to cmd.exe
- Right click on it and select runas administrator
- "cd" to path where installer is, e.g.
- Run your msiexec command.
msiexec /i "WPKG Client 1.3.14-x32.msi"
- For network, enter full path i.e
msiexec /i "\\server1\MyShare\WPKG Client 1.3.14-x32.msi"
- For install across network or localy use "psexec" from Systeminternals with localhost and "-h" parameters, eg. "psexec -h localhost msiexec /le wpkg_error.txt /i WPKG_Client_1.3.14-x64.msi"